Thursday, January 5, 2017

RESPECT ONE ANOTHER'S DIFFERENCES




We have just come to the end of the Presidential election process and, oh my goodness, what a war of words went on!  I have never seen camps so divided or claws so sharpened to hammer another person down for sharing their own heart-felt views, not to mention the cruel words that were flung at, and about, candidates.

THE EFFECTS OF KINDNESS


When someone shows me kindness e.g. brings me a batch of cookies or flowers, visits or calls me on the phone for a friendly chat, fixes my car, offers to help me without being asked, invites me out for lunch, gives me a hug - how does that make me feel?  It makes me feel valued, cared for, respected, connected and even loved.  It creates an emotional bond of trust with the other person.

When I show kindness to another person, how does that make me feel? I feel happy to have made a difference to somebody's day.  If I make something to give my friend as a surprise, I get a kick out of making it and also enjoy the surprise they will get.  My motivation is that I make a positive difference in someone's life.  I feel needed, worthwhile and enjoyed as a friend.

5 SIDE EFFECTS OF KINDNESS (Dr David Hamilton PhD).  

In part -
1. Kindness makes us happier. We feel good.  It is tapping into something deep and profound
    within us.
2. Kindness is good for the heart - creates emotional warmth, producing oxytocin which plays a
    significant role in cardiovascular function.
3. Kindness slows aging - the oxytocin reduces levels of free radicals and inflammation in the
    cardiovascular system and so slows aging.
4. Kindness improves relationships. It reduces emotional distance, creating bonds between people
    and strengthening existing friendships.
5. Kindness is contagious.  It inspires others to experience the value in caring for others.
                                                         -  http://drdavidhamilton.com/the-5-side-effects-of-kindness/

CRUEL WORDS ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

Cruel words spoken or deeds done to hurt another person are destructive.  They cannot be taken back.  They prove what a person really is thinking.  They require no prior thought or preparation.  They are thrown out there without restraint.  They create distrust, impenetrable walls, burnt bridges, low self-esteem, anger, vengeance just to name a few emotions. The Bible says that bitterness dries the bones - in other words it eats away at our physical body, destroys from the inside while trying to destroy others.

KINDNESS IS PROACTIVE - CRUELTY IS REACTIVE. We choose one or the other.  I know which I would choose. The one that leaves a legacy of goodwill, selflessness, hope and love for generations to come.


TRY A LITTLE KINDNESS
Songwriters
BOBBY AUSTIN, CURT SAPAUGH


If you see your brother standing by the road, with a heavy load from the seeds he's sowed
And if you see your sister falling by the way, just stop and say, you're going the wrong way

You got to try a little kindness, yes, show a little kindness
Just shine your light for everyone to see
And if you try a little kindness, then you'll overlook the blindness
Of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets

Don't walk around the down and out, lend a helping hand instead of doubt
And the kindness that you show every day, will help someone along their way

You got to try a little kindness, yes show a little kindness
Just shine your light for everyone to see
And if you try a little kindness, then you'll overlook the blindness
Of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets

Sally Burgess, Forefront Families


No comments:

Post a Comment