Friday, January 9, 2015

IS, "I'M SORRY" ENOUGH?



WHY IS IT SO HARD TO SAY' "I'M SORRY?"

One of the most difficult things in life is to say, "I'm sorry."  In fact, I found it so hard to say the word 'sorry' as a child that I made sure I didn't say or do hurtful things, (even though I thought them), just so I didn't have to say I was sorry.  It sure made me think before I spoke on many occasions.

Perhaps the reason it is so hard to say we are sorry is that, in doing so, we are admitting we are wrong, plain and simple.  It puts us in a position of vulnerability with the other person.  What will the recipient say in response?  They could say, "And, so you should be sorry," or, "I will never forget this."  If they do, you know the situation really hasn't been resolved and you don't feel any release from the situation.  However, if they say, "I am sorry, also," or, "I forgive you," then you can move on because the situation has been amicably settled.

 IS 'SORRY' ENOUGH?

What if we say, "I'm sorry," and keep repeating the same offense?  Does 'Sorry' mean anything then?  Obviously not, because the word 'sorry' requires significant behavioral change.

It is important that our kids hear us saying the words, "I'm sorry" to one another.  As we teach them to say they are sorry they also need to understand that 'I'm sorry' also means we will not repeat the same behavior.  With adults, we can expect immediate correction, but, with children we need to allow them time to understand the full concept of what 'sorry' means.  We must understand that they will make a few mistakes until they get it right.

                           The first to apologize is the bravest.

                                                             The first to forgive is the strongest.

                                                                                            The first to forget is the happiest.
                                                                                                                                     (Anon)

No comments:

Post a Comment