Friday, October 4, 2013

HOW DO YOU FIND YOUR KID'S PASSION?


 I think it is very sad to think that if I asked a group of adults what their purpose or passion in life was, two thirds of them would probably say they didn't know.

  • What do you love to do?  
  • What really floats your boat or winds you up?  
  • What really gets you going - once you start you don't want to stop?  
  • What are you really good at?
Hmmmmm!  Has that got you thinking?

When I was a kid I loved sewing.  I would make most of my clothes and sew dresses for my little sisters as well.  I also loved to knit.  I mastered those things through the enjoyment of performing them.  I tried drawing, but I wasn't really good at it so didn't pursue it.  I also was not good at sport.  Was that wrong?  No.  It just didn't click with me.

At school I was good at writing stories because I discovered I had a very fertile imagination.  I struggled with math and in particular math puzzles e.g. if the train wheel measures x and the track is x long, how long would it take the train to get to the other end moving at x miles an hour.  Ahhhhh!  My brain stopped dead at 'If the train wheel measures x.'  It still does!

There were strengths I discovered myself, but there were some skills that others observed in me that I didn't know I had.  Singing was one of them.  If someone in those early days had not said, "You are really good at this," and gave me opportunities to sing, I may never have found my absolute passion, and reached goals I never thought possible.

I had an Aunt who was my hero.  She was a nurse and I decided when I was only 6 years old that this was what I wanted to be when I grew up.  I never wavered from my goal and did whatever it took, including hard study, to be a nurse just like her.

HOW DO YOU FIND YOUR PASSION?
Ask yourselves the above questions.  Ask trusted others what they think you are good at?  They often see strengths or traits in you that you didn't know existed.  Some of these strengths may end up to be hobbies because they don't earn the money to put the necessary food on the table.  But it is doubly great if you find your passion makes money also!  Either way, we ALL have strengths that drive us if we let them.

HOW DO YOU FIND YOUR KIDS' PASSIONS?
1. Observe what your kids gravitate towards.  From their earliest years they will show often a
    fanatical interest in certain things e.g. the computer, drawing, playing with cars or planes like our
    grandchildren. 
2. Expose your children to all sorts of experiences and activities to see what they enjoy the most.
3. Explore their interests with them, but only a few at a time.
4. Encourage them.  If they are showing a real aptitude for their interest, see how far they go with it.

NOTE:
1. If your kids show interest and you are paying for lessons, don't let them give up just because they
    are sick of it or  it takes too much effort.  At least make them complete a term or season e.g. piano,
    football.  They need to learn to be committed.  Tenacity creates expertise.
2. Some activities are just fun to pursue and others are necessary to life and future careers.  Kids can't
    just ditch math or English because they don't like it.  They have to reach a certain proficiency or it
    effects their futures.  If they are struggling, they will have a negative attitude.  Try to get them extra
    tuition.  Praise them for their effort, not just their grade or results.
3. Do not force your kids into following interests/careers just because you were good at it - or worse,
    you couldn't succeed, so, 'by George, they will!'  That is called, 'living your dreams vicariously
    through your kids.'

We are fearfully and wonderfully made.  We need to find our passions to reach our true potential.

The above picture is of a 6 year old boy in the pilot seat of a large plane.  His grandfather is a pilot and so is his Daddy's brother.  I wouldn't be surprised if this lad isn't headed in the same direction!

Written by Sally Burgess

No comments:

Post a Comment