Monday, February 18, 2013

HELPING CHILDREN THROUGH MAJOR ISSUES

We are all afraid when it comes to any kind of emergency or catastrophe.  We sound scared.  We are scared and it takes us all of our energy to work through it.  Our children feel our fear and we often don't realize just how much they need assurance that they will be OK.  They look to us to be their protectors and heroes and don't know what to do when they see us upset or losing our usual cool demeanor.

I know it is very difficult when in the middle of some major crisis to be calm around your kids.  I have been there a number of times and I was so engrossed in the problem that I can't say I really shielded my kids from it. 

There are several important things to remember.  Take time to explain to your children a LITTLE of what is happening if it is appropriate, and assure them that you will all get through it.  It is vital that you shield them as far as possible from the stress you are feeling, and when there is good news, to make sure they know it.

By Sally Burgess

No comments:

Post a Comment