Now, I am not advocating that you give up on immunization shots for a minute, but I think we are getting way too carried away with the antiseptic bottle.
If we don't allow our kids some exposure to germs, they are much less likely to build up a good healthy natural immunity which costs absolutely nothing!
So, what does give us immunity?
1. A diet including fresh fruits and vegetables.
2. Plenty of rest, sleep and exercise.
3. Time outside in the sunshine.
4. Breast fed babies (especially in the first few weeks).
5. Keeping to recommended immunization shots and flu shots.
6. Hand washing after using the bathroom and before eating.
7. Natural exposure to everyday germs such as dirt, door handles, 'clean' surfaces.
Research has shown that children that are raised with pets have a greater immunity to germs. Now, when you consider the dirt a pet may get on its fur/hair and the licking of family members by dogs, it certainly makes you wonder, but it is apparently true.
Sterilization of every surface in sight is getting really silly. There's a danger of becoming OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) or exposing your kids to even more serious infections because they have had no chance to build up their immunity to those germs. I urge you to spend less on the sanitizer and more on the list above.
Written by Sally Burgess