Tuesday, February 18, 2014

THE PARENTS' CREED


  1. I WILL put my family first above work, golf and other stuff.

  2. I WILL be a positive role model for my kids.

  3. I WILL be the leader in our home, not the kids.

  4. I WILL learn from my neighbors' and friends' well-behaved kids.

  5. I WILL be a parent rather than a friend, confidante, enabler or permissive indulger to my kids.
  6. I WILL believe the teacher or other authoritative figure when they tell me that my child has
                 been misbehaving and I will investigate and deal with the issue promptly and
                 effectively.

  7. I WILL give my kids QUALITY and QUANTITY time rather than a bunch of stuff that will  
                  not replace ME.

  8. I WILL resist the temptation to buy my kids 'every instrument in the orchestra' just because
                  they want me to!

  9. I WILL NOT continue shopping in the supermarket while my kid screams the place down.

10. I WILL NOT give my kids the idea, or allow them to think, that they are the center of our
                  home and the wider universe.

11. I WILL NOT plead, nag, brow-beat, put-down or ignore my kids.  I understand that if I do
                  they will likely become a pain to me, the school, the community and THEN pass
                  the same behavior on to their kids.

12. I WILL NOT be tempted to take my work on vacation.  I will take a break and concentrate
                 fully on my family.
       
13. I WILL do everything in my power to help my kids realize their dreams - not mine!


Written by Sally and Brian Burgess
   




No comments:

Post a Comment